- lt is advisable to transfer the beer to a clean container with an airlock before it is fully fermented and shows little activity in the airlock. Do this carefully using the tap, after first removing the airlock or the lid. This way you separate the beer from the yeast sediment on the bottom.
- Store the mixture for 1 to 2 weeks at a temperature of 20–23°C. This is the clarification or second fermentation.
- Measure the density again after clarification.
- Note: This intermediate step is recommended, but you can skip it if you only have one bucket.
A hydrometer is essential for determining when you can start bottling. You use the hydrometer to measure the bottling density. This is the final density, which may vary depending on the beer type (see the WATER AND SUGAR TABLE). For all Brewferm® beer kits, the optimal bottling density is 1.010. You can start bottling when the beer reaches the right density.
- First transfer the beer again to another clean container. Do this carefully using the tap, without stirring up the sediment, after first removing the airlock or the lid.
- Add the SUGAR 2 quantity to the beer, which is 7 g/l.
- First dissolve this sugar in a small amount of boiling water. Caution: if you fill the beer into a keg, add only 2.5 g/l. If you fill a combination of a keg and bottles, first separate the 2 volumes and then add the recommended amount of sugar to each.
- Mix thoroughly with a stirrer to distribute the sugar evenly through the beer.
- Transfer the beer to sturdy beer bottles, or a keg for refermentation.
- Seal the bottles and keep them in a warm place for 14 days. At the end of this period, open a bottle (if you filled the beer into bottles) and check whether sufficient carbonic acid has been formed. If that’s the case, move the beer to a cool place (approximately 10°C) for 6 to 8 weeks to allow it to mature and clarify. If sufficient carbonic acid has not yet been formed, wait several days and check again. Pour your delicious Brewferm® beer carefully without stirring up the yeast sediment. Cheers!